Captain Javier Nunez de Prado was born in Madrid, in April 1969. He joined the Spanish Naval Academy in 1988.
After being graduated in 1993 as sub-lieutenant, he served operationally in the following appointments:
• Frigate "Baleares" (Weapons Officer) (1993-1995)
• Minesweeper "Sil" (Opso, X.O.) (1995-1997)
• Corvette "Descubierta" (Navigation/Electronic Warfare Officer
• Frigate "Numancia" (ASW Officer) (2000-2002)
• Minehunter "Sella" (X.O.) (2002-2003)
During these appointments, he was integrated in SNMG2 and SNMCMG2, and he participated in the operations "Sharp Guard", "Sharp Fence" and "Enduring Freedom". He has commanded the following ships:
• Minesweeper "Odiel" (2003-2005).
• Patrol Boat "Arnomendi" (2010-2011 ).
Ashore, he has been commissioned to the following posts:
• OVAD (Spanish MCMV Operational Sea Training) (Coordinator/Opso) (2005-2008).
• Spanish Navy Staff, Logistic Division (2011-2013).
• MoD, Undersecretary of Defence, Naval advisor (2013-2017).
• Chief of Staff Spanish MCM Force (2017-2020).
On the other hand, he has participated in the operational planning and execution of several (five) exercises on board SP (M) HRF HQ (2003-2007) to achieve and maintain Full Operational Capability (FOC), as head of NMW Cell.
Captain Nunez de Prado is a specialist in ASW and MW. He gained Tactical Action Officer and Mine Warfare aptitudes. He also attended the Spanish Joint Staff Course, Mine Staff Officer Course at EGUERMIN (Ostend, 2005-2006) and 127 Senior Course at NADEFCOL (Rome, 2015-2016). He is married and has one son.