NATO WARSHIP ITS MIMBELLI CONCLUDES COUNTER PIRACY DEPLOYMENT
GULF OF ADEN – After six months of support to counter-piracy operations in the Indian Ocean and Gulf of Aden, the Italian frigate ITS FRANCESCO MIMBELLI (D561) departed Task Force 508 and ended her participation in Operation OCEAN SHIELD last week.
"I am proud of the contribution our crew gave to freedom of the seas and to the security and prosperity of the entire region," said ITS MIMBELLI's Commanding Officer, Captain Davide Berna.
The ship now steers towards the Mediterranean, where the crew will return to their families in their home port of Taranto, Italy, concluding their seven month deployment overseas.
During the deployment, ITS MIMBELLI sailed more than 32,000 nautical miles, spending 152 days at sea. Activities included:
- Furthering ongoing cooperation with Madagascar during a port visit to Antisiranana in March
- Air defence exercises with the USS GEORGE H.W. BUSH Carrier Strike Group in April
- Deepening of cooperation with the Royal Omani Navy during a port visit to Muscat in April
- Integration of Yemeni Navy and Coast Guard Officers into the crew for an underway period in April/May to enhance Yemen's ability to conduct counter-piracy operations and other maritime security activities
- Passing exercises with the Royal Omani Navy in conjunction with a port visit to Salalah in June
- Training for boarding operations with the Tanzanian Navy during a port visit to Dar Es Salaam in July